I started my bakeshop smack dab in the middle of the cupcake craze. People just could not get enough of them. We literally made hundreds of cupcakes each week and that didn’t include weddings and special occasions. I had a Cupcake of the Month Club. I taught cupcake classes. I was knee deep in the cupcake world folks. I had to have recipes that were really delicious and reliable, that I could easily double and triple. We would load them up with icings, fillings and toppings and cart them to market each week. This Best Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe never let me down.
We really took pride in our swirly icings and delectable topping flavours and sometimes we were sold out before lunch. Working in the shop wasn’t without its trials though. That time a staff dropped an entire box of wedding cupcakes on our way out the door to set them up? That was a mad panic let me tell you! Or that very special order of cupcakes that also ended up on the floor ten minutes before being picked up (as we were trying to photograph them). That horrible day the ovens quit. Those wedding cakes that kept me up all night. Argh! Business certainly had it challenges, but I learned so much about myself then.
This was, and still is, my go to chocolate cupcake recipe. I used it for cakes and cupcakes every single time (I did an article over here about easy ways to decorate a chocolate cake). The cupcakes are oh so chocolate-y and can stand up to all of those incredible icings and toppings (this Bailey’s Swiss Meringue is pretty alright!). I still make it all the time, and my kids actually prefer it plain with no icing at all. Often when I have a rack of these cooling on the counter I’ll come back and find that an entire row has disappeared!
Those boys are lucky they’re so darn cute.
I love that this recipe is prepared in one bowl. No fussing, no creaming, no sifting, just throw it all in the bowl and get on with it. You can have a few dozen made in just about 30 minutes. Whether in a busy shop or a busy house, that’s something I can certainly appreciate.
Some days I still miss the excitement of the bake shop. It was pretty awesome to deliver goods that made people so happy and to be a part of some pretty amazing celebrations. Have you got a celebration coming up? Need a sweet surprise for someone? Know someone who could use a little cheering up perhaps? This is definitely your new go to recipe too friends.
Best Chocolate Cupcakes
*yield is 24 cupcakes
-1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
-1 1/2 cups of sugar
-1 1/4 tsp of baking soda
-1 tsp of baking powder
-1 tsp kosher salt
-1/2 cup of cocoa
-1/4 cup of oil (I use canola)
-2/3 cup of buttermilk
-3 large eggs
-1 tbsp vanilla
-1/2 cup of strong , hot coffee
1. Preheat oven to 350° and line two muffin trays with cupcake liners.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add all of the ingredients except the hot coffee. Mix just to combine.
3. Slowly pour the hot coffee into the bowl while mixing on low speed. Once all of the coffee is in, mix on high for approximately 2 minutes.
4. Divide batter using a scoop or 1/4 cup measure into prepared liners and bake for approximately 15-17 minutes.
5. Cool cupcakes in pans for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely. Ice with your favourite icing or enjoy plain. Store cupcakes at room temperature in a closed container. These cupcakes freeze very well for an easy grab and go treat.