Last week we had a serious heat wave. It was no less than 100 degrees outside and I didn’t want to do anything that involved an oven. Except it was my birthday. And I wanted cake. But I didn’t want an oven on. #thestruggleisreal
I also wanted something pretty for the cover of my new e-book coming out soon! It’s a Best of Summer edition with all of my favourite summer time treats in it. Expect lots of seasonal produce, pies, scones and ice cream. I can’t even keep a secret (*throws hands up!), because my initial plan was to do a “tah-dah! Look what I made!,” but I’m too excited about it and have to share.
Gracing the cover is this lovely Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream Cake, which seriously took me fifteen minutes to make from start to finish. It’s kind of embarrassing really, that I’m throwing myself out there in the self-publishing world as a baker extraordinaire, but the cover shot is a no bake, no fuss recipe that takes no time at all. But I stand behind it, because it screams summer treat, and is incredibly yummy and gorgeous to look at too.
No-churn ice cream is seriously one of the easiest recipes of the summer. It’s made with just three ingredients: heavy cream, condensed milk and whatever flavor options you choose. Mix-in options are literally endless! For this Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream Cake, I simply swirled some cherry pie filling mixed with almond extract, throughout the ice cream before freezing. And using the Oreo baking crumbs for crust was a no brainer for me because you may or may not know, I have a slight Oreo addiction. It’s true. I grew up in a house with home-baked goodies everywhere and I traded whatever I had in my lunch for Oreos. I recently read an article that claimed that double-stuffed aren’t actually double the stuffing, and it shook me to the core. I’m a grown woman, a mother, a grandmother for goodness sakes and I still hide these cookies in the house!
I’ve had that monkey on my back for years.
So this, this no-bake, birthday/e-book celebration cake, in the middle of July, in 100 degree weather was just the ticket. It made the stifling heat easier to bear, put the cherry on top of my birthday, and got me even farther along on this e-book journey. That’s a pretty tall order for a cake!
I hope you’re having a wonderful summer! Stay cool friends!
Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream Cake
- 1 3/4 c Oreo baking crumbs
- 1/2 c melted butter
- 2 c heavy cream, very cold
- 1 can (300 ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (540 ml) cherry pie filling
- 2 tsp almond extract
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Fresh sweet cherries for garnish
Line the sides of a 10 inch springform pan with parchment.
- Use a fork to mix together the Oreo crumbs and melted butter. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cherry pie filling and almond extract. Set aside.
- Using a mixer, on high-speed, mix the whipping cream until stiff peaks form (about 3 minutes). Add the condensed milk and mix well. Pour over the Oreo crust. Drop the cherry pie filling by large spoonfuls on to the whipped cream mixture. Once it is all on, use the back of a knife or spoon to marble the cherry filling throughout the whipped cream. Freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, top slices with whipped cream and a sweet cherry.