Remember when I last showed you my recipe for DIY Homemade Yogurt? I’ve been using it in everything. My overnight oats, smoothies, dips. It’s seriously the bees knees with just a teaspoon of raspberry jam stirred in.
Recently I made some homemade frozen yogurt with it. Insanely good Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Frozen Yogurt. Did you hear that my little peanut butter loving minions?
Honestly, its peanut butter insanity.
With two cups of homemade yogurt and low-fat milk in the ingredients, my family is so busy high fiving me about it, they have no idea that it’s not really that bad for them. Using healthier ingredients, has cut down on added sugars significantly, has added more proteins, and the taste is full on peanut butter and chocolate. It’s a sweet, cool down treat, that we can all enjoy and not feel so guilty about.
Initially, when my yogurt making obsession began, my family kind of teased me about it. There goes mom again, with a science experiment in the oven. But they’ve seen the benefits from my yogurt persistence. It’s creamy and smooth just like any premium store-bought brand. I’m confidant my foray into homemade frozen yogurt has completely won them over.
And listen, I have a house full of teenagers, so winning them over can be very, very difficult.
It’s super fast to make and requires no special equipment. The yogurt freezes in as little as 6 hours. If you made this in the morning, you could easily be licking a double scoop by dinnertime. It really is that simple.
I hope you are having a wonderful, double scoop frozen yogurt kinda summer wherever you are!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Frozen Yogurt
*adapted from Martha Stewart
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (low fat)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 cups plain homemade yogurt or plain Greek style yogurt
- 1 cup milk (low fat)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 cup chocolate chunks, mini peanut butter cups or chocolate buttons (optional)
1. In a large bowl with a mixer, beat the condensed milk, peanut butter, vanilla, and salt until smooth. Add in yogurt, milk, and cocoa powder and mix until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl to completely combine. Stir in the chocolate chunks. Leave the yogurt in the mixing bowl and freeze, removing from the freezer and beating once every hour (for about 30 seconds), for a total of 3 hours. Transfer to a container and freeze until firm and scoopable, about 2 more hours. If left for longer than 6 hours in the freezer, it will need a few minutes to soften on the counter before scooping.