Summer is fast approaching friends, and I couldn’t be happier. I’m sure I’m not alone when I say it’s by far, my favourite time of year. It’s BBQ season and time for visiting with friends. It’s beach time. Pool time. S’mores time.
Dreamy Rhubarb Ice Cream Tarts time.
I want to make dishes to share with my friends and family, that don’t leave me stranded in the kitchen. I love this recipe for Rhubarb Ice Cream because it requires no ice cream maker or custard base at all. But it tastes churned people! It tastes creamy and sweet just as it should, with only minutes to prepare.
Each bite is slightly tart and sugary sweet. There are ribbons of roasted pink rhubarb throughout. The addition of a graham tart shell, pistachios, whipped cream and strawberries just simply put this over the top. But don’t stress, this is just as sublime and refreshing when scooped into a cone or bowl.
Did I mention that this only takes moments to prepare?
Make it, and I have the feeling you might just break up with your ice cream maker for the summer.
Happy summer friends,
Dreamy Rhubarb Ice Cream Tarts
*ice cream recipe adapted from Taste of Home
*makes 9 3″ tarts or about 4 cups of ice cream
- 3 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 9- 3 inch graham tart shells
- 1 cup chopped pistachios
- strawberries for garnish
- whipped cream or whipped topping for garnish
Preheat oven to 375°
1. Mix the rhubarb and sugar and place in a shallow baking dish (lined with parchment for easy cleanup!). Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool slightly and then puree or mash. I prefer slightly chunky. refrigerate until cool. Stir lemon juice into rhubarb mixture. Set aside.
2. Beat the cream until stiff peaks form (I also added a drop of pink food gel colour here); fold into rhubarb mixture. Freeze for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Pipe or spoon into ready-made tart shells. Freeze overnight or until firm. Garnish with whipped cream, strawberries and chopped pistachios Allow to sit for 5 minutes to soften slightly before serving.