I have to apologize right up front for the lack of photo’s here. These fresh and warm Lemon Lime Breakfast Rolls were eaten up pretty fast!
Remember here, when I made my Glazed Apple Cinnamon Buns? Serious ooey goey business and so yummy on a lazy week-end morning. These are the same idea, I used the same dough recipe but I added a tangy lemon/lime mix just before rolling them up.
These were a huge hit on a cold and dreary spring morning. There is nothing better than taking warm bread out of the oven on a cold day. It fills the whole house with the most amazing smell. The beauty of these kind of breakfast treats is that they can be made well ahead of time and frozen before the second rise. Just pop these in the oven when you wake up!
I topped these with a simple Cream Cheese Glaze while they were still warm. When the whole week is spent waking with the dreaded sound of an alarm clock, I relish the days when I can wake up on my own time with a pot of strong coffee and some breakfast pastries. Right off the bat I know this is going to be a good day.
On another quick note, I just wanted to share with you that this week-end my family participated in the annual Multiple Sclerosis Supercities Walk. It’s a charity near and dear to my heart. My daughter and I baked up some goodies for their cake table this year. What an honour for us!
Make the same dough recipe that I used here and follow the same directions for the rolls.
Lemon Lime Filling
Note: this is enough filling for one batch of lemon lime rolls. The dough yields enough for two batches.
- 6 lemons zested
- 2 limes zested
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
1. Put the lemon and lime zest in a bowl with the white sugar and mix with your fingers coating the zest with the sugar. This will release an amazing citrus smell!
2. The dough recipe will give you enough for two batches of rolls. One for now and one to freeze! Roll out one half, on a lightly floured surface. Make a rectangle, about 10 x 8 inches, with the long end facing you. Spread rectangle with butter and top with the zest mixture.
3. Start at the long end farthest from you, and begin to roll the dough into one long tube. Cut the tube into 12 even portions and place side by side in a greased 13 x 9 pan.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 25 minutes. Remove from oven, invert on a plate if you wish, and drizzle glaze on top.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 0z cream cheese at room temperature
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Whisk all ingredients together and continue to add lemon juice until you reach the glaze consistency you desire. Spread on warm rolls.